As Agency operations experts, we’ve witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly. We can confidently say that creative agencies that employ an Integrated Project Management discipline run vastly more smoothly than the ones that don’t. Project Managers are the unsung heroes of integrated agencies that increase productivity, project profitability and account profitability.
Unfortunately, many creative agencies do not realize the value of this discipline until it comes time to deploy an integrated project management/accounting solution like Workamajig®, Advantage or PeopleSoft/Agile. Often, when faced with this realization, many owners and executives do not know where to begin. Let CPI help.
Establishing an Integrated PM discipline will allow your agency to:
- Ensure that estimates and SOW’s are scoped accurately
- Act as the agency’s advocate in client communication
- Anticipate and resolve bottlenecks to keep work flowing
- Effectively manage budgets, schedules, constraints + predecessors
- Catch scope creep, before it blows up project profit
- Act as the liaison between Creative, Strategy, Digital, Production and Client Services
- Keep projects on-time, on-budget + in scope
Good Project Managers have a pulse on everything going on in your agency. They know who’s busy and who’s sitting around checking Facebook. They know which clients need three rounds of revisions vs. which ones need eight. They know that if your Creative Director tells them something will take eight hours…that it really takes sixteen. Even though they don’t perform the work themselves, they are experts in the capabilities your agency provides, understanding the step-by-step details required to deliver a successful project (on-time, on-quality, on-budget).
Unfortunately, many agencies do not have a dedicated discipline for a variety of reasons that include agency size, perceived value, lack of resources and lack of expertise, among others.
If you feel it’s time to invest in a Project Management discipline, we can assist you in:
- Auditing your current processes
- Reviewing your team members’ responsibilities and tasks
- Identifying what is slipping through the cracks
- Defining a new workflow for your agency that employs project management
- Defining Project Management roles + responsibilities
- Redefining Client Services roles + responsibilities to better align with new discipline
- Training your new + old team members on project management best-practices
- Identifying key tools to reinforce new PM discipline (Workamajig, Oracle Agile, etc.)
- Identifying the perfect candidate for your new role(s)
Establishing an Integrated Project Management discipline can be a daunting task, and most agency owners and executives don’t know where to start. The first step is acknowledging the need for a unified project management discipline; we can help with the rest!